Child nutritionist and mother of three, Jenny Edelstein is passionate about developing healthy, balanced diets for children and has created three new drinks recipes for February's Children's Dental Month. In partnership with water purifier brand BRITA, she has created three drinks which contain no refined sugar, perfect for when an alternative to water is required, whether it's a party, special occasion or a picnic. All of them use filtered water as a base, with the addition of just a few healthy ingredients. We are huge fans of BRITA, and find having cold, filtered, clean-tasting water to hand in the fridge encourages the girls to drink more. We couldn't wait to try out the fruity recipes, here's what we thought:
Jenny says, “Not all fizzy drinks have to be unhealthy! This one is packed with flavour, but without all of the sugar in branded soda. The raspberries in this Berry Fizz are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, and the drink is sweetened just with a little maple syrup.”
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 teabags of berry flavoured tea (we used English Tea Shop Super Berries Organic Tea)
200 ml BRITA filtered water
70g raspberries, rinsed (we used frozen berries)
50 ml maple syrup
200 ml soda water
1. Boil the water in a pan, and use it to steep the teabags for 15 minutes.
2. Remove the teabags and add the raspberries and maple syrup.
3. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
4. Strain through a mesh sieve.
5. Cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
6. To serve, divide the raspberry syrup into two glasses. Top up each glass with soda water.
Not being over-keen on fizz, Lara topped hers up with more filtered water from the fridge. We all found it a delicious and refreshing drink. fizzy or still. The girls loved it! I will definitely be making this for future parties, picnics and the like. A brilliant idea and so easy to make. 10/10 from us!
Tropical Agua Fresca with Jewelled Ice
Agua frescas are refreshing, fruity flavoured waters which are very popular in Mexico. They should be served ice cold and are superb in hot weather. Making this one with coconut water makes it rich in potassium, calcium and magnesium.
Ingredients (serves 2)
100 ml BRITA filtered water
20 pomegranate seeds
400ml coconut water
1 lime, washed and quartered
½ orange, washed and roughly chopped
50 g chopped fresh mango
2 tablespoons honey
1. Make the ice cubes first by placing the pomegranate seeds and blueberries in an empty ice cube tray and topping up with BRITA filtered water. Freeze overnight.
2. To make the agua fresca, place the lime, orange, mango and honey in a large jug and bash well with a wooden spoon to blend and release the juices.
3. Add the coconut water to the jug and stir well.
4. When ready to serve, strain the agua fresca into two glasses.
5. Add the fruit ice cubes before serving.
I got into trouble with this one because our ice cubes didn't get made in time - oops! I think I better make sure we have a stock of jewelled ice cubes ready for future makes. So we went ahead and made the drink sans ice cubes. It was delicious! Sophia especially enjoyed this one, perhaps because she has a sweeter tooth than Lara. We will definitely be making this again too, as I would love them to consume more healthy coconut water. Great idea, another 10/10.
The final recipe isn't one we will make as none of us like milkshake type things, but I know many of you will love it!
Chocolate Coconut Milkshake (vegan)
Jenny says: “This thick and creamy milkshake is made with coconut milk, which contains healthy fats and provides a great alternative to cow’s milk. The milkshake’s sweet taste comes not from refined sugar, but from dates and bananas, which are alkaline and pose no issue to teeth. With the
cashew butter providing protein, this milkshake really has it all.”
Ingredients (serves 4)
150 ml coconut milk
100ml BRITA filtered water
2 medium frozen bananas (peel and slice the bananas before freezing)
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
2 medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon cashew butter
1. Combine all of the ingredients, except the BRITA filtered water, in a blender and blitz until smooth.
2. Very gradually add the BRITA filtered water until a drinkable consistency is obtained.
3. Serve in small glasses with a straw.
Enjoy your healthy drink making!