The girls are really looking forward to making these delightful biscuits filled with a rich strawberry jam. Perfect for sharing over a morning tea. The mixture makes either 30 biscuits as a single layer, or 15 sandwiched biscuits. You will need a circular cutter, and other smaller sizes if you want to make sandwiched biscuits with cut-outs.
Preparation: 15 minutes, Cooking: 13-15 minutes
For the biscuits:
100g Tomor hard vegan margarine or butter
50g caster sugar
1 lemon, zest and half the juice
100g plain flour
1 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp freeze dried strawberry powder
50g ground almonds
Pinch of salt
For the jam:
4 tbsp icing sugar plus extra for dusting
3 tbsp freeze dried strawberry powder
3 tbsp water
1. To make the biscuits: Preheat the oven to 180C/ Gas 4
2. Cream together the margarine and sugar.
3. Add all the remaining biscuit ingredients and mix till thoroughly combined.
4. Allow the mixture to chill for 20 minutes.
5. Lightly dust your work surface and rolling pin with a little icing sugar.
6. With the rolling pin carefully roll out half of the dough to approximately 3mm.
7. Cut out the dough with a circular cutter then place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
8. Roll out the remaining dough and cut out circles as before. This time take a small cutter and carefully cut out the centre leaving a ring. Place the rings on to the baking sheet.
9. With any remaining dough, simply cut into biscuit shapes and place onto a baking sheet.
10. Bake for 13-15 minutes. When cooked, allow to cool before transferring to a cooling rack.
11. To make the jam: simple mix all of the ingredients together. (no need to heat).
12. Finally fill your biscuits by placing a little jam in the centre of the base biscuit and carefully sit the ring on the top. With a few biscuits simply place a blob of jam in the centre with no ring andleave the remaining biscuits plain.
13. Place your biscuits into an air tight container. The jam will harden overnight enabling easier transportation.
©The Vegetarian Society 2015
Recipe created by the Vegetarian Society’s Cookery School.
Don't forget to check out the rest of our National Vegetarian Week recipes.
And if you are looking for the perfect bakeware for your creations, try the brilliant selection of cake tins, baking trays and more from Cakemart, We love their brilliant bundt tin, loaf pan, deep cake pan, and the baking trays we used to bake these fantastic cookies. Perfect bakeware for all our creations!
And don't forget to enter our competitions!