Who said burgers can't be fabulous just because they lack meat? This quick and easy kidney bean burger recipe is delicious, filling and can be trimmed up and glorified in any way you like. Just serve with potato wedges or chips, and salad. Yum!
Makes 6 burgers - wrap any extras in greaseproof paper and foil to freeze.
Preparation: 10 minutes, Cooking: 15 minutes
400g tin of kidney beans
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 heaped tsp mixed herbs
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp of vegetable oil
Pickled cucumbers/burger gherkins
Onion, tomato, lettuce
1. Drain, rinse then mash the kidney beans.
2. Mix together the beans, tomatoes, garlic and herbs in a large bowl.
3. Add the breadcrumbs and semolina. Mix well.
4. Add soy sauce and lemon juice. If necessary add a tablespoon of water to increase moisture (but don’t be tempted to add any more!)
5. Shape into burgers.
6. Gently fry the burgers in the vegetable oil until golden brown, approximately 10-15 minutes.
7. Serve on lightly toasted buns with a salad and relish.
© The Vegetarian Society 2015
Don't forget to check out the rest of our National Vegetarian Week recipes.