Everyone has a favourite chilli recipe, adapted and adjusted over the years, but if you're looking for a great chilli one, this is it. It has a real kick, with a deep smoky flavour from the chipotle in adobo sauce (find it in the supermarkets' Mexican section).
Preparation time 10 minutes, Cooking time 30 minutes
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce
50g bulgur wheat
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 fresh chillies (as hot as you like)
75g tomato puree
100g sundried tomato puree
100g sundried tomatoes, sliced
250g mushrooms, sliced
25ml vegan red wine
1 tsp vegan stock powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
75g pickled jalapeno chillies, chopped
20g dark chocolate, grated
1. In a large pan gently fry the onions in the oil. After five minutes add the garlic and spices and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add all of the remaining ingredients other than the jalapeno chillies and chocolate. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Just before serving add the jalapenos.
4. When served top with a little grated dark chocolate. This will add a slight aroma of chocolate, without making the chilli taste strongly of chocolate.
5. Serve your chilli with rice or jacket potatoes and guacamole, sour cream and salsa. Cooks tip: the chilli freezes well, so you might want to save a little so that you can make huevos rancheros for breakfast.
© The Vegetarian Society Cookery School
Visit www.vegsoc.org/recipes for more recipes.
Don't forget to check out the rest of our National Vegetarian Week recipes.