A quick discussion with friends reveals that we all have a particular thing which, above all else, makes us feel organised in our space and enables us to sleep soundly at night (small people permitting of course!) My 'thing' is having all the toys tidied away and back in their rightful places at the end of the day. If I can also see the kitchen worktops without a sea of crockery, jobs to do, lists and other abandoned bits and bobs, adorned only with beautiful, shiny appliances, I can go to bed very happy indeed.
Last of all, we have a multitude of containers throughtout the house where things get tossed when they're in the wrong location, need mending, need up or re-cycling, or otherwise need dealing with. Then set your timer and off you go with your container of oddities to re-assign/deal with. It works for us!
So here's my top tips:
1. Get a cleaner or a self-cleaning house, failing that follow tips 2 to 10:
2. Work out what your control thing is, and ensure that gets done even if nothing else does.
3. Stack your dishwasher, wash up and shine your sink every evening.
4. Do one load of laundry a day, and get one load ironed, folded and put away.
5. Involve your children in chores, a clean, tidy house is everyone's responsibility.
6. Set an oven timer and give yourself a time limit to get the job done.
7. Have a schedule which breaks the chores down over the week.
8. If crossing things off a list motivates you, laminate your lists!
9. Have open containers, e.g. garden trugs, dotted around to toss odds and ends into.
10. Make sure a treat is in sight at the end of your chore time, there are lots of ideas here.
Although as I overheard Lara saying this at the weekend, I think my days as a domestic goddess are still far away!
"I think we must live in an old house, Sophia, because there are lots of cobwebs. Do you see?" (points at offending articles)
Are you a domestic goddess? What works in your home?