Lynne Elliot, Chief Executive of the Vegetarian Society, said:
“Sharing food brings people together, feasts and meals mark special occasions while festivals offer a variety of tastes to try. National Vegetarian Week is all about delicious veggie food and sharing - getting people to come together to cook and share. Whether you decide to make veggie dishes for a community group, work colleagues or friends - sharing food can make a moment. There’s no better way to celebrate veggie food and discover how you can be kinder to animals, the planet and yourself.”
Thinking about becoming vegetarian, or even just adopting Meat-Free Mondays? Just look at the difference you could make.
Did you know...
- An 8oz chicken breast might look small but it takes over 542 litres of water to produce. That could fill up your bathtub 6.5 times.
- Your average 8oz steak soaks up a whopping 4035 litres of water in its journey from farm to fork, that's about 50 bathtubs worth of the wet stuff that you could be saving.
- Many Mangrove Forests 'the rainforests of the sea' have been destroyed to feed our appetite for prawns. Curbing your passion for prawns could help to save these incredibly beautiful places and the animals that live there.
- Dolphins love to swim with yellow fin tuna and sadly up to 3000 of them die each year as they are caught up in the main catch. Turtles can also be killed in some of the mainstream tuna-fishing techniques.
- The nation's favourite catch has seen a 70% drop over the last 30 years, with predictions that in 15 years there'll be no cod left to take a battering!
- Hooray for five a day but don't stop there. Every extra 200g of fruit and veg you eat can reduce your risk of heart disease by 6% so get munching. Remember, more is more!
- Upping your daily fruit and veg intake can be easier than you think, with beans and pulses also counting towards your total, and every extra 200g you eat means a 6% reduction in heart disease risk. '7 a day' is the new 5!
You can find our National Vegetarian Week menu here, and the full shopping list here.
Lunch recipes will be published at 8am each day, and dinner recipes at midday.
Make sure you don't miss a post by following us by e-mail, box up at the top there :-)
Join us in going meat-free next week!