I recently met the people from Irish oats company, Flahavan's, and sampled these delicious biscuits made with their fabulous oats. Luckily, they have kindly allowed me to share their delicious recipe with you. Enjoy!
This recipe makes around 18 biscuits.
150g Flahavan's Irish Organic Jumbo Porridge Oats
100g sprouted buckwheat flour
1tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
50g toasted blanched hazelnuts, chopped
200g hazelnut butter (we like Meridian)
90ml coconut oil
60ml ginger syrup
60ml maple syrup
90g stem ginger, finely chopped
100g dark chocolate, finely chopped (or vegan alternative)
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4
Line a large greased baking tray with parchment
1. Combine the dried ingredients (oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, hazelnuts) in a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix the hazelnut butter, tahini, coconut oil and syrups in a saucepan and melt gently over a low heat until well combined.
3. Add the wet mix to the dry and fold. Fold in the stem ginger.
4. Roll the mixture into 18 small balls and place on the baking tray. Gently flatten each ball slightly with a fork or the back of a wooden spoon.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until brown at the edges. Remove form the oven and allow the biscuits to cool on the tray for 15 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack.
6. Gently melt the chocolate (or substitute) in a bowl over a pan of hot water. The bowl should not touch the water.
7. Drizzle the chocolate over using a teaspoon, and allow to set.
8. Make a cup of tea/coffee and eat! Or be all virtuous and pass them on to friends and family - they'd make a great Christmas gift.
Irish family firm Flahavan's have been selling finest quality oats for over 200 years. Their twice-milled oats are sourced from rich farmland in the south-east of Ireland, and are twice-milled for an extra creamy taste and texture. They can be used in both sweet and savoury dishes; have a look at the website for more recipes. Flahavan's products are available from Tesco, Waitrose & Ocado.