Afternoon tea is a dying art for many, but not in our house. Everyone should take an afternoon break, and a cup of tea with a (usually healthy) snack is sheer bliss. In fact, I might start a campaign to bring back afternoon tea; maybe #teaback rather than #teabreak? Who's with me? Even if busy lives mean it's a weekend-only event, we all need to take a little break to re-charge. If you are looking for a treat for your afternoon tea this weekend, these delightful Blueberry & Lemon Scones are a must.
300 g self- raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
75 g butter, cut into small squares
50 g caster sugar
100 g blueberries
3 tablespoons The English Provender Co. Luxury Lemon Curd
150 ml milk, plus extra for brushing
The English Provender Co. Luxury Lemon Curd
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
1. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl then rub in the butter, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and blueberries; mix well.
2. Whisk together the milk and lemon curd. Gently stir into the breadcrumb mixture, with a rounded knife until the mixture is a soft dough and comes together in a ball. Handle the dough as little as possible to prevent it becoming tough.
3. Gently knead the dough on a lightly floured surface to remove any cracks. Roll out to 2 cm thickness, then using a 6 cm fluted pastry cutter, cut into rounds. Gather up any spare bits of dough and knead lightly, roll out and make more scones
4. Place on a baking tray, spacing them a little apart, and brush the tops with milk. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack.
5. Delicious served warm or cold, just split them in half and top with clotted cream and lemon curd. Any remaining scones can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days, just warm them in the oven.
The English Provender Co. Luxury Lemon Curd (315g) is available from Lakeland stores nationwide and online at www.englishprovender.com, RRP £2.49