Back at the Christmas in July shows, I met the lovely Ashley Thomas and got to admire her delightful new Christmas collection, as well as sampling some of her delicious gingerbread! This was pretty much perfect gingerbread. Sophia and Tatiana are BIG gingerbread man fans, but we find bought gingerbread to be a bit hit and miss. Some of them are so crazily over-spiced, too hard, too crumbly, and on and on. (First world problem, obvs!) So, not wanting you to miss out, we have been given permission to reproduce this perfect gingerbread recipe. Enjoy!
350g plain flour
½ tsp mixed spice
A pinch of salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
175g unsalted butter
4 tbsp golden syrup
150g muscovado sugar
1. Put the butter, sugra and syrup into a saucepan and heat gently until melted
2. Sift the flour, spices, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl then add to the saucepan.
3. Mix well and roll into a ball of dough.
4. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
5. Roll out the dough to 1cm thick on a lightly floured surface.
6. Prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
7. Use At Home with Ashley Thomas Christmas cutters to cut out different shapes and transfer to the baking tray.
8. Stamp the circular pieces with At Home with Ashley Thomas Christmas biscuit stamps.
9. Bake in the oven for 8 minutes.
10. Allow to cool completely.
11. Then have fun decorating them with icing, silver balls and edible glitter.
The At Home with Ashley Thomas range is available from Debenhams, in store and online.