Black Bean & Beetroot Burger
To make the burger mix:
580g black beans, cooked and drained (tinned are fine)
1 heaped teaspoon cumin seeds
115g red onion
125g cooked beetroot, grated
4½ tablespoons cornflour
¾ teaspoon salt
1 heaped teaspoon cracked black pepper
To make the burger mayo:
1 teaspoon Tomato puree
20g Tomato chutney
5 g Gherkin (finely grated)
Emmental cheese slices
Little Gem lettuce leaves
1. Lightly toast the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan, then crush in a pestle and mortar.
2. Finely chop the red onion, jalapenos and coriander. Grate the cooked beetroot (wear gloves!), and crush the beans with your hands or a fork.
3. Combine all ingredients well and divide into six equal balls. Mould the burgers into patties (around 150g each).
4. Plunge the patties into hot oil and fry for approximately 4 minutes until crisped.
5. Meanwhile, toast the brioche buns under the grill and mix together the mayo ingredients.
6. Spread some burger mayo on the bun, followed by the burger patty, an Emmental slice, tomato and a lettuce leaf.
7. Add some more burger mayonnaise to the top and serve with salad, fries and coleslaw. Done.
* Make it vegan: use an alternative to mayonnaise and leave out the cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Las Iguanas