Watercress and Mushroom Sliders
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
4 Portabello mushrooms, stalks trimmed
100g creamy blue cheese such as Gorgonzola*
6 small rolls, sliced horizontally
Lettuce, tomatoes, onion, pickles etc to serve
1. Mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic together. Season to taste.
2. Pour the dressing over the mushrooms, turn to coat well. Cover and leave to marinate for an hour, moving them around once or twice to make sure they’re fully coated.
3. Heat the grill and put the mushrooms on a shallow baking tray gill side down. Grill for 5 minutes, then turn and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
4. While they are cooking, put the watercress into a bowl and cover with boiling water, leave for 1 minute until wilted, drain well.
5. Once the mushrooms are cooked, fill each one with watercress and top with the cheese. Return to the grill along with the rolls, cut side up.
6. When the rolls are toasted and the cheese is bubbling, place a mushroom inside each roll to make the burgers and serve immediately with your choice of fillings.
* Don't like blue cheese? Try melting Talleggio instead, or just top with a slice of Emmental after you have grilled the mushrooms. Or go no-cheese and make it vegan instead!
Recipe c/o www.watercress.co.uk