Cherry and Almond Tray Bake
275g self-raising flour
2 level tsp baking powder
225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
225g caster sugar
zest of 2 lemons
75g ground almonds
5 large eggs
400g cherries, stoned and halved (or 200g of dried or glace cherries)
30g flaked almonds
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C (160C fan). Grease and line a deep rectangular tray or roasting tin.
2. Put the flour, baking powder, butter, sugar, lemon zest, ground almonds and eggs in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
3. Pour a thin layer of batter into the tin then scatter the cherries over and repeat. This is a bit faffy but it stops them breaking up too much and is worth doing. If using dried cherries, just fold them through the mixture gently.
4. Scatter the flaked almonds over and bake for about 40 minutes. The cake is ready when the sides have shrunk away slightly from the pan and the centre springs back when pressed.
5. Allow to cool in the tin before removing and cutting. If made with fresh cherries, this bake won’t keep for long, so keep it as air tight as possible and enjoy!!
Find us on Twitter Facebook Pinterest Google+ Bloglovin'