Courgette, Sun-dried Tomato and Ricotta Flan
Serves 6 as a main, 8 as part of a buffet or picnic
175g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
75g cold butter, diced
2-3 tbsp cold water
1 small onion
1 large courgette or 2 small, finely sliced
50g sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and sliced
2 tbsp milk
2 eggs, beaten
4 tbsp finely chopped fresh herbs (e.g. rosemary, sage, thyme)
12 pitted black olives, halved
1. Sift the flour into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add a little cold water to form a soft dough.
3. Lightly flour your worktop or board and knead the dough until smooth.
4. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Roll out the chilled pastry and line a 23cm flan tin. Prick the base and chill for 20 minutes.
6. Blind bake the pastry case by lining with foil and baking beans. Bake at 200C for 10 minutes, then remove the foil and beans and bake for a further 10 minutes, until golden and crisp.
7. Fry the onion gently for 2-3 minutes. Add the courgette, and fry until both are a light gold.
8. Scatter over the base of the prepared and cooked pastry case, top with the sun-dried tomatoes.
9. Beat the ricotta, milk, eggs, herbs and salt & pepper. Pour over the courgette mixture and scatter the olives over the top.
11. Bake at 200C for 30-35 minutes, until the tart is firm and golden. Serve hot, warm or cold.