30g mixed dried wild mushrooms
1 leek, finely sliced
knob of butter or a splash of olive oil
500g macaroni, or any tube pasta
40g plain flour
500ml whole milk
250ml single cream
40g Cheddar, grated
40g Parmesan, grated
20g pine nuts
30g Parmesan, grated, for topping
1. Soak the mushrooms in 250ml water for an hour or so.
2. Gently soften the leek in oil or butter over a low heat. Preheat the oven to 220C.
3. Cook the pasta in a large quantity of boiling water until just al dente.
4. Meanwhile, make a white sauce by mixing the flour and butter over a low heat, and gradually adding the milk. (You can see a video here if in any doubt.)
5. When all the milk has been added and the sauce is smooth, remove from the heat and stir through the cream.
6. Return to the heat and stir through the two cheeses. Season the sauce.
7. Drain the mushrooms, and reserve the liquid for the risotto recipe above or to use in another dish.
8. Combine the drained pasta, mushrooms, leek and pine nuts in an ovenproof dish, and pour over the sauce. Try to make sure all the pasta is covered.
9. Drizzle with a little truffle oil, and sprinkle over the Parmesan topping. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
10. Grate a little truffle over before serving. For wine, match with a lighter Chardonnay or Chardonnay blend.