Jam Viennese Slice
175g plain flour
30g icing sugar
85g cold butter, diced
3 tbsp cold water
370g jam or conserve, we used raspberry conserve
40g icing sugar
170g plain flour
20g corn flour
190g very soft unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160 Fan. Butter and flour the baking tray.
2. To make the pastry, rub the cold diced butter into the flour and icing sugar until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the first 2 tbsp of water to bind the mix into a dough. Add more water as necessary.
3. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface until the size of your baking tray and approx. 4cm thickness.
4. Place the pastry in the tin, prick all over with a fork and bake for 8-10 minutes until just firm and a pale gold colour. Leave the pastry to cool in the tin.
5. Prepare the Viennese mix by beating the icing sugar, plain flour, corn flour and soft butter.
6. Spread the jam over the pastry. Then use an icing bag and large nozzle, pipe the Viennese biscuit mix over in parallel diagonal lines to create a lattice pattern.
7. Bake for 25-35 minutes until the Viennese mix is set and golden brown.
Equipment used: Swiss roll tin 34 x 24cm and cotton piping bag, both from the Prestige Inspire range.