Serves 4 as a main course; 8 as a starter
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
400g arborio risotto rice
1.2l vegetable stock
175ml dry white wine
200g broad beans, shelled
75g Parmesan, finely grated
More Parmesan to finish
1. Gently fry the onions in the olive oil and half the butter. Add the garlic then cook for 3-4 mins until soft and translucent, but not browned.
2. Keep the heat on medium and add the rice. Keep the rice moving with a wooden spoon for a couple of minutes, then add the wine. Stir for a minute or two until the it has been absorbed.
3. With the pan on a gentle simmer, add the stock a little at a time. Keep stirring until the liquid is absorbed, then add a little more. Repeat until nearly all absorbed (about 15 minutes).
4. Add the asparagus with the last few spoonfuls of stock and let it soften a little. Add the broad beans and peas to the rice. Season.
5. The rice is cooked when it is soft but still has a line of bite at the centre.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and stir through the Parmesan and the rest of the butter. Add a splash more stock to loosen if necessary.
8. Let the risotto rest for a couple of minutes, then serve with extra Parmesan, and an ice cold glass of wine. Bellissima!