Curried Beetroot and Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and quartered
60ml unsweetened almond milk, or buttermilk
2 tbsp olive oil
250g Sweet Chilli Beetroot*, chopped in half
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
100g dry lentils
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp medium curry powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
600ml vegetable stock
1. Preheat oven to 200C/180C for a fan oven.
2. Boil the chopped potatoes for 10 to 15 minutes, until soft. Strain the potatoes and mash with the almond milk until smooth and creamy, adding sea salt to taste. Set mashed potatoes aside for later.
3. In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and gently fry the onion, carrots, and celery for about 8 minutes until just done.
4. Add the lentils, curry powder and garlic and sautée for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and bring mixture to a full boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are cooked through; about 25 to 30 minutes.
3. Add the chopped beetroot to the pan and stir to incorporate for about 2 minutes.
4. Pour the beetroot and lentil mixture into a medium sized oven dish. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly on top of the vegetables and place the oven dish on a baking sheet.
5. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until the shepherd’s pie is bubbly and the potatoes are starting to get brown and crispy.
* Sweet chilli beetroot is available from a number of supermarkets, or choose a different flavour from the infused beetroot ready-to-eat range, which is available in major retailers and includes: Spicy Sweetfire Baby Beetroot (Tesco Finest), Sweet Chilli Rosebud Beetroot (M&S), Sweet & Spicy Chilli Beetroot (Waitrose), Juniperberry & Black Pepper Cocktail Beetroot (Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference), Sweetflame Beetroot (Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference), Cumin & Pomegranate Beetroot (Waitrose) and Honey & Ginger Beetroot (ASDA).
Recipe c/o www.lovebeetroot.co.uk