Cherry Bakewell Cake
For the cake:
200g butter, at room temperature
200g golden caster sugar
100g ground almonds
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
½ tsp almond extract
To fill and decorate:
200g good quality cherry jam (just over half a jar)
175g icing sugar
5-6 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp flaked almonds
1. Heat the oven to 180C (160C fan). Grease and line two 20cm sandwich tins.
2. Put all the cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth and well combined.
3. Put half the batter in each tin, smooth to the edges and level the tops.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden. The top should spring back when lightly pressed, and a skewer should come out clean when inserted into the centre.
5. Cool the sponges in their tins for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Once cool, place one sponge on a serving dish, then spread the jam over in a thick layer. Place the second sponge on top.
7. Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl, then stir in the lemon juice to create a smooth, thickish paste. Allow the icing to run down the sides of the cake.
8. Scatter the flaked almonds over and allow to set for a few minutes before serving.
Adapted from a recipe in Good Food magazine, February 2009