Just a few days to go, and hopefully you're not letting the stress creep in yet. If you're panicking about serving 'proper' mince pies not shop bought ones, why not try this neat little trick to make them semi-home made and a bit jazzy. No-one will ever know ;-)
500g pack shortcrust pastry
1 jar good quality mincemeat
zest of an orange
3-4 dried figs, finely chopped
1-2 tbsp orange liqueur, optional
2 tbsp icing sugar or demerara sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170C. Grease two 12 hole cake tins.
2. Empty the mincemeat into a bowl and add the orange zest, figs and liqueur, if using. Mix well.
3. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface until about 3mm thick. Cut out round circles and place them in the tins.
4. Fill each round with mincemeat and top with a smaller circle of pastry or a star. If using circles, wash with egg or milk and sprinkle a little demerara sugar over before baking.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Cool the pies on a wire rack.
6. Sieve icing sugar over before serving, and serve them proudly!
Serve mince pies with a boozy cream. Whisk double cream, icing sugar and almond or orange liqueur until thickened.