Steenbergs Chilli Piccalilli
100g carrots peeled and chopped into small cubes
500g cucumber or courgette, peeled and diced
500g pickling onions, halved
500g cauliflower, broken into small florets
125b broccoli, broken into small florets
100g caster sugar
2tbsp organic honey
1 teaspoon Steenbergs organic Mustard powder
1 teaspoon Steenbergs organic ground Ginger
1 teaspoon Steenbergs organic ground Coriander
1 teaspoon Steenbergs organic Chilli powder
1 teaspoon Steenbergs organic Turmeric
800ml distilled cider vinegar
2 tablespoons organic plain flour
1. Sterilise the jars by putting your clean jars and lids in the oven at 100C for 5 minutes, or by running them through a hot dishwasher cycle.
2. In a large pan, blend the sugar, honey, mustard, ginger, coriander and chilli with 500ml of the vinegar. Add the vegetables and stir.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Blend the flour and turmeric with the remaining vinegar and stir into the cooked vegetables. Bring to a rolling boil for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Pour into sterilised jars. Put on the lids as tight as you can.
6. Half fill a large stock pot with boiling water. Using a holder, carefully lower the jars into the pot.
7. Leave a small space between the jars. Add more boiling water to cover them well. Bring to the boil and cover, simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the jars from the pot and put them on a cloth surface, several inches apart, to cool.
The jars will be sealed and will keep for a number of months, getting better with age in a dark cupboard. Ideally make in November or early December for giving as Christmas presents, or for the Boxing Day spread.
Recipe c/o Steenbergs