Here’s one of Miranda’s favourite tea time treats, her Butterscotch Walnut Blondies. A lovely alternative to a brownie, the Blondies are packed with white chocolate, walnuts and brown sugar, and are a quick and simple traybake to make as a delicious tea-time treat. The fudge bakes to create delicious butterscotch morsels that are moreishly good in every mouthful!
150g white chocolate, melted
50g white chocolate, chopped into chunks
150g unsalted butter, softened
250g light soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 eggs & 1 egg yolk
150g plain flour
100g walnut pieces
100g vanilla fudge, chopped into chunks
50g white chocolate, melted
a handful of crushed walnuts
3 tablespoons of Nestle caramel, warmed
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water or carefully & gently in the microwave.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a tray bake tin with baking paper or ideally foil backed baking paper.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla then beat in the eggs at high speed. If making my hand, whisk furiously with a balloon whisk.
- Fold in the flour.
- Put a handful of fudge, walnuts & white chocolate chunks to one side then fold the remainder into the mixture.
- Sprinkle the reserved nuts, fudge and chocolate on top before putting into the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin before turning onto a chopping board and drizzling with chocolate, caramel and more walnuts.
- Slice into squares.
Miranda has published two books: Biscuit; and Bake Me a Cake as Fast as You Can.
Miranda Gore Browne is a Dream Tea ambassador for national children's charity Dreams Come True, which asks everyone to turn at least one of their daily cups of tea into a special moment by adding delicious cakes and biscuits, and to take out with friends, family and colleagues whilst raising money to help bring joy to terminally and seriously ill children.
The Dream Tea annual fundraising campaign runs from 15th to 21st June this year. To take part visit: www.dreamscometrue.uk.com/dreamtea or call 0800 018 6013.