1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
4 sticks of celery, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
900g aubergine, cut into large cubes (approx. 2.5cm/1 inch size)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp good quality tomato puree
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp salted capers.
20 green olives, pitted and chopped
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp pine nuts
1. In a large pan, fry the onion, garlic and celery on a medium heat for a few minutes until softened.
2. Add the aubergine and stir for a good 5-10 minutes, until the aubergine looks glossy and is soft. Turn it regularly to cook evenly.
3. Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar, capers, olives and vinegar and stir thoroughly to combine.
4. Bring to a simmer, then taste and season accordingly.
5. Keep the pan on a steady simmer for about 20 minutes until everything is soft and combined.
6. Whilst it's cooking, toast the pine nuts in a dry pan. Stir through the stew towards the end of cooking.
7. Serve hot as an accompaniment or pasta sauce, warm or at room temperature as part of an antipasti feast. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 2 days.